Re: [Usability] Cascading Menus, Context Menus, and Moving Files

To reconsider the drag+drop nature where you can't necessarily see the folder
the file is going into, I have an idea for addressing that.

When a file is dragged over a folder, why not modify the icon into the file
with an arrow pointing into the folder?

(more under Clarke's comments)

On Sunday 20 May 2007 05:33:16 Jimmy Clarke wrote:
> There's definitely an inconsistency here -
>
> Nautilus (2.16.1) "Places" side pane:
> clicking in white space does not clear selection, brings up context menu
> for selection
>
> Nautilus main view:
> clicking in white space clears selection, brings up context menu for folder
>
> Epiphany (2.16.1):
> clicking on whitespace does not clear selection, brings up the context menu
> for selection
>
> Epiphany History window;
> clicking on whitespace clears the selection, does not bring up context menu
>
> There are different behaviours elsewhere -
>
> Totem (2.16.2) "Playlist" side pane:
> clicking on whitespace does nothing at all (does not clear selection, does
> not bring up context menu)
>
> Totem main window:
> clicking on the part of the window with the playing movie/visualization in
> brings up a kind of context menu (though I couldn't really say what object
> the context menu is referring to); clicking anywhere else on the window
> does nothing at all
>
> Anyone who has used these three apps could not be expected to know what
> would happen when they right clicked.
>
> James

It might seem inconsistent between applications at first. However, I've
noticed a few patterns.

When you right click whitespace in an application that's primarily used for
document viewing, it generally does not clear the selection. In fact, it
generally just uses one context menu for right clicking anywhere on the
document (the document is the context, and if the document has a selection it
enables some extra functionality). I can see this behavior as useful in the
context.

When you right click whitespace in an application that's primarily used for
document editing, it will generally clear the selection and show you a
different context menu (the white space has its own context). Because
document editing can involve many different types of elements, coupling the
selection's context menu with every other context menu would make the context
menu quite a bit confusing.

Meanwhile, Nautilus doesn't really fit into the categories of document viewing
or document editing, but let's just assume we're using it as a document
editing utility since having multiple contexts is useful.

The question is, should any selection context override any sibling contexts?
If right clicking didn't clear a selection, a user would most likely assume
that the context menu is for the selection. Is this because displaying a
context menu for the selection is the expected behavior? If so, I would say
that selection context menus in an environment with multiple contexts should
override any sibling context menus.