[Usability] link handling

Hei,

i can't subscribe to the list, unfortunately, because the page tells me
my email address would be insecure. ;-)

However, i just had a thought about improving link handling in
applications, like i.e. Evolution.

If i get a mail with a link to a pdf file, firefox opens and presents me
with an empty window directly opening evince to show the document.

Since Evince can open the pdf from the web directly, it would be much
nicer if Evolution would directly open Evince.

More generalised: It would be great, if all links to files other than
web pages would directly open the mime-associated application, provided
that they'd be capable of fetching the content (via gnome-vfs)?

I guess this would exceed the possibilies of current mime
specifications, and would hence either cause extension of some
freedesktop specs or maintaining of a separate list of applications
capable of fetching files from http or ftp links (that would then need
to be crossed with the mime database "on the fly").

I'll try subscribing if someone could give me a hint how to get rid of
the above mentioned error, otherwise, could you please post in cc to me?

Thanks.
André.