Re: [Usability] Proposals for dealing with resolution changes and small screens?

This is my first response on this mailing list but since I regulary have to use beamers
and different monitors with my laptop I encounter this "problem" a lot.

I believe that the best way to deal with this would indeed be to use different desktop layouts
for different resolutions, maybe it would be possible to have different desktop layouts for each resolution
and leave the icons on their original place instead of replacing them and making them to overlap. There
could be some kind of list shown on the desktop then with a list of icons that aren't visible, or a drop-down
menu with the icons that don't fit.

I think that when we have overlapping icons they would be as usefull as non visible icons. In my
opinion I think that the most important thing is to make sure that when the resolution changes due to
changing monitor or anything else that all the items on the panel stay in sight and reachable. A lot of people
keep their launchers for diffent apps on the right side, together with the display of the clock. Things that
shouldn't be lost.

For the monitor hotplugging, it would be great to  have layouts per device if that is possible, that way you
can have a layout for working with a beamer, in wich you could set-up your layout specificaly for that device