Re: [Usability] tabs in GNOME

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:37:39PM +0100, Thilo Pfennig wrote:

> I have found that opening a new tab is often different:
>
> * Epiphany: Ctrl+T
> * Gedit: Ctrl+N (new document)
> * Gnome-Terminal: SHIFT+Ctrl+T
>
> I think this is really bad. I can understand we have different history but I
> really think this is the same action and so should have the same keyboard
> shortcut. What do you think? Maybe we even have more shortcuts for new tabs
> in GNOME?

I agree that having varying shortcuts for the same (or very similar) things
is unfortunate.

But for Gedit the action is New document, Ctrl-N being standard for it.
One could argue that opening a tab is just a side efect.

For the Terminal: I don't even know what might be bound to Ctrl-T,
but it would be problematic to ignore console key bindings.
Well, all those shell tools could benefit from a usability workover
... flying pigs and all that :)

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Creature Illustrations: