Re: [Usability] F-Spot Usaility Issue

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 13:15 +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 11:10:50AM +0100, Joshua Saunders wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > I don't know if this is the right place to send this to, but it's the
> > only place I could think of.
>
> This can be a good place to discuss issues, but to have a chance of
> getting things actually moving, the specific projects mailing list and
> bug tracker (ask me off list if you need further explanation) are better
> places.
>
> > I think it's a real usability issue that clicking ANYTHING while a
> > slideshow is playing exits the slideshow, even a right click.
>
> I'd say everything that is not used in another way during a slide show
> should quit it. With the exception of mouse movement, as that happens
> too easily. This way a discoverability problem is avoided. You don't
> want the user struggling to get out of the slide show.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of applications, be it on windows
or linux, use double click to exit a slide show, so I don't see how the
user will have to struggle to get out. Another option is also adding a
"Exit slideshow" button that appears if the mouse hovers above the
top/buttom of the screen.

> > A typical user will expect a right click to bring up a context menu with
> > some options, such as adjusting size, pausing, and shuffle options. The
> > first time I used it I was really surprised to see it exiting.
>

> Now if a context menu makes sense - and it surely does - it should
> take right click. Also, it should be limited to actions / options
> considering the slide show, advanced stuff is likely better handled
> outside.

I agree that a context menu shouldn't have too many options, but I would
really like to have some options in the F-Spot config regarding the
slideshow, but that is for the F-Spot list probably.

> > Wouldn't it be more usable to exit on double click?
>
> It shouldn't be limited to double click, see above.

Maybe it shouldn't be ONLY double click, maybe even a left click, but a
right click is just pushing it too far IMHO, a user expects a context
menu, instead it exits the slideshow...

Josh