Re: [Usability] An idea about representing groups of programs as one

On Jul 27, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Rogue wrote:
1. A lot of applications can be identified as providing the same "feature"
2. In my menu items i see the "feature" as compared to a list of
applications
3. This "Feature" item can either be drilled in order to get access to
the various "feature-providers", or can be clicked to launch the
"preferred" application
4. You can configure your preferred application via the
preferred-applications UI.

Maybe Gnome's Mime-type registry could include multiple actions, not just opening, so that an application could register as knowing how to --for example -- print HTML files. Then you could select an HTML file in Nautilus, go to the "File" menu, and see a "Print With" submenu with items for Firefox, Gedit, and PrinceXML. Or you could select multiple music files, go to the "File" menu, and see a "Make Playlist" submenu with items for Rhythmbox and Banshee. That would require cooperation on action names, so you didn't end up with one program using "Make Playlist" and another using "Create Playlist".

A bigger challenge would be implementing a similar system for selections that weren't necessarily files. For example, a few weeks ago my mother asked me how to total some numbers she'd entered in a word processing document. It would have saved a lot of time if she could have selected all the numbers, gone to a menu, and had access to Gnumeric's SUM() function.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/