Re: [Usability] Idea: Systemwide adressbar

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, Christoph Mueller wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:27:02 +0200
> From: Christoph Mueller <chris christophm de>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Idea: Systemwide adressbar
>
> Hi,
>
> > > I think this would be a great feature for the Gnome Desktop.
> >
> > In what ways would an address bar be different from the currently
> > existing deskbar applet ( http://raphael.slinckx.net/deskbar/ )
>
> The deskbar is only a searcher and starter for different things like
> address book, applications, bookmarks or internet search.
>
> But the address bar would also be a starter, but the url to an
> application or dialog is present every time the application or dialog
> has focus. The url shows the state of the application. Like in a web
> application. The url represents the address to that application or
> function of that application. So users can do the same things they can
> do with urls in web applications. Send via email or bookmark it.
>
> If the user often writes an email to someone, it would be a great idea
> to have a shortcut somewhere on which he can click. Probably this can be
> done with Evolution and some cryptic command line parameters. But the
> average user does not know how to use it. But if the user writes an
> email in Evolution the normal way, and the address bar represents the
> state of the "new mail" window, while he writes the mail, like
> system://evolution/newmail?to=chris christophm de&subject=test, the

mailto:chris christophm de?subject=test
(CC, BCC, Body, are also options)

new URI schemes are the last thing we need.  there are plenty of people
who would remove the location bar from the browser entirely and instead
rely only on search tools of various kinds, as it is an easier (if more
inflexible) way for ordinary users to work.

I would encourage you to take a step back.  Rather than looking at the
Deskbar or another existing system and trying to add to it, try instead to
focus on the problems you mentioned - automating common tasks - and try
and consider higher level ways those tasks might be streamlined or
approached differently.  don't focus too much on a particular
implementation before you clearly identify problems to solve but do keep
on it.

--
Alan