Re: [Usability] List View Column Header Sorting

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 20:44 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> What I meant to express is that I can't remember the direction mapping,
> even though I tried. I have memorised dozens and dozens of shortcuts
> for several applications, but this doesn't stick at all. I expect it
> to be no different for most users.
> So if I use sorting, I have to check the list itself to determine
> the direction, often clicking a second or third time. This takes
> time, maybe not much, but it _feels_ so inefficient.
>
> An alternative to what's in my mockup would be to write out
> A - Z, Small - Large, Old - New
> flipping the order on clicking. There's a space problem,
> but seeing the first half only should be enough.

Actually, this is a pretty interesting idea. It reduces the user's
cognitive load because he or she doesn't need to map the > relation onto
the column type. The mockup looks a little "warty," and it may be better
to just show the sorted column's "wart."

An opposing viewpoint might be that clicking the column again is such a
cheap operation for the user to perform that letting him or her
distribute the cognition into (effectively) the widget is "good enough"
and not worth attempting to fix.

--
Michael R. Head <burner suppressingfire org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/