Re: [Usability] Control Center Appearance Capplet

On 19/04/07 13:57, Calum Benson wrote:
On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 19:21 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:

Maybe we get some of these things with the new Xrandr? I haven't been following it too closely. The problem I can see here though, is that Display may not be an obvious place to look for when wanting to set font options.

I agree, especially now that we're all used to looking in the Fonts
capplet for them.

The trick if we did that would probably be to re-cast those settings as
something affecting the overall 'display quality', rather than something
specific to fonts.  For that matter, it would probably be worth
revisiting whether we really need to offer such an exuberant choice of
font rendering settings anyway; Mac and Windows seem to manage fine with
much less.

Definitely. I've never used the Details window of the font capplet. Ideally I think we'd have a single checkbox marked "Enable font smoothing", but unfortunately I don't think there is a way to detect LCD screens yet, so we ought to have at least three choices.

I wonder if there is a reliable way of determining what percentage of people actually use these settings.

Well, IIRC, the sort of concerns raised at the time were:

- Without the Close button, a blind user has to infer that the dialog is
instant apply by the absence of any action buttons.  The presence of the
Close button gives them a more positive indication.
I think this goes against what the Novell studies show, and what I suggested in the beginning. Does a Close button really indicate explicit apply? I would suggest that for the many people who don't realise the difference between Close and Cancel, it really only serves to confuse matters further.

That may be true for sighted users, but I don't think Novell tested with
any users who were relying on screenreaders for their information (I'd
be delighted to hear otherwise, though), so I'm not sure it would be
wise to draw any conclusions about their needs from that particular
study.

The point I was trying to make should apply equally to partially sighted users as to sighted ones. The problems associated with the Escape key and the instant apply confusion can be traced to the confusion between Close with Cancel. I suspect this is largely because many people are used to the explicit apply model in Windows, and just do not understand that the controls in preference windows are instant apply. If there was a better way of demonstrating to users that the settings are instant apply, I think it would solve a lot of our problems.

However, I don't have any data to back up my hypothesis about this, so I am not suggesting we change the status quo unless just yet.

Regards,

Thomas