Re: [Usability] Input Events to Action Mapping

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:00 PM, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2007/04/10/event-to-action-mapping-1/

Interesting. :-)

Important questions are: do you want it?

While this would allow easier customization for users, it might make Gnome a misery for ISVs. They would use some keyboard combo for some special function in their application, in the knowledge that it wasn't one of the standard Gnome keyboard combos -- and then they'd get support calls and complaints from people who had set that same combo to do something else system-wide, just because Gnome had made that easy to do.

Besides possible improvemnts on my design document, next on my
list is a mapping configuration dialog, where I currently see
some scary complexity. All input and help welcome.

If this was implemented, it would need to be possible for the Preferences windows of programs supporting this system to have a "Keyboard Shortcuts..." button, which opened *that application's* section of the system-wide Keyboard preferences window. Otherwise it would be unreasonably difficult to find out how to customize the application you were using right now.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/