Re: [Usability] Languages and Directories

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 03:29:19PM +0200, Thilo Pfennig wrote:

> I think we have an issue with application defaults directories. Some
> applications always use english directory names. The problem with that
> is that the user might have created a mudic directory with a name in
> his native language and that then each new installed application that
> has a fixed default path writes to the english directory.

I think ideally folders should have one system name and any number of
translated names. The name matching the current locale would be displayed,
the others could appear in Properties. Should be the same for desktop
and console.
I know it wouldn't be too easy to get there, but it would be a solution
that doesn't make i18n look like an afterthought and one could call
it free of artefacts.

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Design for Free Software: