Re: [Usability] Mac-style menubar in GNOME

On Sep 16, 2006, at 11:35 PM, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
One thing I might add to mpt's notes is:
* integration with the current panel menubar
How will it look? How do we on the one hand link the two menus together seamlessly to avoid GUI ugliness, yet make it visually clear which part is constant and which part changes? It might be worth thinking about reducing the three-menu menubar, perhaps returning to the single icon foot menu as a default. (For example, anytime you're using Nautilus, you'd have two Places menus,
which currently have different contents.)

Yes, I was treating it as obvious that the introduction of a real menu bar would require abolishing the misleadingly-named "Menu Bar". :-)

I don't think that would be much of an advantage or a disadvantage. On one hand, it would make things like Places harder to get to (not that I've ever actually *used* that menu, except to get to the hopefully-soon-obsolete "Search for Files"). On the other, it would reduce categorization problems such as the reviewer who concluded that Ubuntu has no help system.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/