Re: [Usability] sticky keys and alt-tab

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 09:57 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

> --- Maurizio Colucci <maurizio colucci gmail com>
> wrote:
>
> > Never mind, I found the problem: in keyboard
> > preferences -> layout options
> > -> group/shift-lock behavior, I had to disable "both
> > alt keys together
> > change group".
>
> Urg.
> Why do we even have this ugly little tab section?
> I understand these options are provided by X, but why?
> What needs to happen to kill them off or fold them
> into GNOME properly, or bring them kicking and
> screaming into the rest of the GUI?

Easier said than done.  There are people who use those
options.  I'm one of those people, because I like using
a Compose key.  We can't just ditch them.

The list of options comes from the X server, so we can't
just have a static dialog with all the options neatly
laid out.  I do think, however, that we can improve on
the dialog.  It just takes some thought.

We could, for instance, have a nearly-static layout with
all the options we consider common.  We don't dynamically
add anything to this layout, but we do remove from it any
options that aren't supported by the X server.  We still
have to provide access to everything, so we put a button
at the bottom which brings up a dialog with a tree view
with all the options in it, similar to the current dialog.

--
Shaun