Re: [Usability] =?iso-8859-1?q?=91extraneous_text=92_in_dialogs?=

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 02:24 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> > Perhaps it should be updated with something along the lines of the
> > above?
>
> Agreed. I'll submit a patch unless Calum gets there first. :-)

Go for it :)  The current "no explanatory text" guideline was written by
the Sun docs folks for various reasons, when they were the major docs
contributors-- not least, I suspect, to avoid opening the floodgates to
a rush of additional 'help' text written by folks of lesser
documentation adroitness than themselves, much of which they would have
felt obliged to review and edit.  Which is fair enough, up to a point--
nothing can turn a neat interface into a sloppy one more quickly than a
dose of bad prose.

But they've moved on, and so I think has the general consensus about
text in user interfaces, and not just within GNOME.  So I'd be happy
enough with an amendment, if we're also willing to take on that extra
burden of ensuring appropriate/consistent usage of such text.

Cheeri,
Calum.