[Usability] Re: spatial Nautilus, Filechooser: some suggestions

Thorsten Seitz <thorsten.seitz <at> web.de> writes:

> 4. If (3) is not possible it should at least be possible to rename the Home
> folder with respect to the Filechooser, because in the German translation its
> name is "Pers�cher Ordner" which is rather long for the path button.

I don't understand this name at all, and would like to get rid of it.
My 'personal folder' is /home/stefan, and I don't see any reason to translate
this.
A common name for this directory is '~'.

Both work on the commandline, but a new User will not find this 'Pers�cher
Ordner' anywhere on the filesystem.
Every command created for the filesystem will fail using 'Pers�cher Ordner',
every script and every question to an international auditorium too - what is its
name in english, btw?

Understanding that /home/USERNAME is your personal directory isn't hard.
Understanding what the usage and reasons for a personal directory are is a
bigger step for a novice, but it isn't solved by choosing a different name,
which is inconsistent with every other name in the filesystem.

In the filesystem, there are few exceptions to normal names:
- symbolic links
- mountpoints

Having a third exception just for the home-directory, which isn't changeable by
the user, is annoying.
---
I googled a long time to find this thread, and I noticed, it is rather old, and
I noticed that the discussion on this topic is closed.

I'm sorry - I didn't find a better place to mention my doubts.