Re: [Usability] Re: New UI for gnome-about-me capplet

--- Bill Wohler <wohler newt com> wrote:

> Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

> > 'Automatic Save Every Five Minutes' makes me feel
> like
> > I'm being shouted out, or at best, e-nun-cia-ted
> > like I'm a bit slow.
>
> It does, however, allow you to use it in a sentence
> without quoting.

<snip>

> I agree the sentence capitalization does look better
> in some
> circumstances, but the simplicity of Java's rule,
> and the ability to use
> without quoting in documentation are pretty strong
> reasons to use
> headline capitalization always.

If you use label text that is an imperative command,
rather than a description, the problem solves itself.

[] save automatically every 5 minutes

Now in the docs, write "In the preferences, set
Beanstalk to save automatically every 5 minutes."
It's clear which checkbox is meant.

This also has the advantage that the UI can be read,
by saying 'do' or 'don't' for the value of the
checkbox, instead of 'Yes - Automatic Save Every Five
Minutes'

I wonder if there's anything on this in the HIG.

Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets. http://uk.mail.yahoo.com