Re: [Usability] "Finish" vs. "Close" in gnome-control-center dialogs

> These are guidelines, and it uses appropriate terminology where
> appropriate. The guidelines are ignorant of the separation of image and
> color for the desktop background. These two items are not mutually
> inclusive into a single object and term.
>
> Also: http://makeashorterlink.com/?A21F13DDC
>
> Practically every movie site, and theme site, calls desktop backgrounds,
> "wallpaper". The fact that it says "Wallpaper" is not confusing. The
> fact that it says "Add" is. And in more cases than not, "Add" in the
> file chooser dialog is much more confusing than "Add Wallpaper" in the
> main capplet UI.

Just noting that the decision to use "desktop wallpaper" over "desktop
background" is somewhat overridden by the translators. In principle,
the translation is supposed to be a word for word translation of the
English. But I'm thankful that the Swedish translators have made an
exception in this case :). "desktop wallpaper" is not translated to
"skrivbordstapet" which would be the literal Swedish translation,
instead it is translated to "skrivbordsbakgrund" which translated back
to English is... "desktop background".

I would guess that there are a few other languages which does not have
any wallpaper pasted on their desktops.

--
mvh Björn