Re: [Usability] GNOME default icons

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 12:34 -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
> Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM> wrote:
>
> > On 22 Mar 2006, at 16:46, Bill Wohler wrote:
> >
> > > Also, there are a dazzling number of icon and desktop themes on the
> > > GNOME site, but none are branded "Default" so I could check for
> > > myself. What is the URL to the current default set of icons?
> >
> > The default stock icons in GNOME are provided by gnome-icon-theme:
> > http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-icon-theme/
>
> Thank you Calum. It appears the new arrows are, indeed, blue.
>
> It would be nice if the set were available alongside the other themes to
> make it easy to compare.

In the "Icons" tab of the details dialog in the theme manager, "GNOME"
shows up right next to all the other icon themes. Packaging it as a
tarball and putting it on art.gnome.org or some other site does not
really make sense, as there are several pieces of infrastructure that
would get ignored. This is even more so for 2.15.

> > These icons may of course be over-ridden by any other theme that your
> > distro specifies
>
> That's apparently what is happening here (to get the green arrows) but
> I'm baffled because I couldn't find any stock_left.png images on my
> system that were green. Is it possible the icons are compiled into the
> applications? I'll ask the Debian folks for debugging information.

No, what's happening is that the icons in gnome-icon-theme do not have
the appropriate names for overriding the arrow icons in GTK+. GTK+ uses
stock icons with various names, which are different than the filenames
of icons in gnome-icon-theme. As I stated earlier, there is a bug filed
to update the theme, so that these new blue icons get used instead. 2.15
will be updated to follow the Icon Naming Specification, and have
properly named symlinks to override the stock GTK+ icon names.

-- dobey