Re: [Usability] GNOME default icons

Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM> wrote:

> On 22 Mar 2006, at 16:46, Bill Wohler wrote:
>
> > Also, there are a dazzling number of icon and desktop themes on the
> > GNOME site, but none are branded "Default" so I could check for
> > myself. What is the URL to the current default set of icons?
>
> The default stock icons in GNOME are provided by gnome-icon-theme:
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-icon-theme/

Thank you Calum. It appears the new arrows are, indeed, blue.

It would be nice if the set were available alongside the other themes to
make it easy to compare.

> which are installed into the 'gnome' icon theme ($DATADIR/share/icons/
> gnome).   Some icons also used to be installed into $DATADIR/share/
> icons/hicolor, but IIRC that's no longer the case with recent builds.

Thanks. I'll pass that info on to the Debian maintainer.

> These icons may of course be over-ridden by any other theme that your
> distro specifies

That's apparently what is happening here (to get the green arrows) but
I'm baffled because I couldn't find any stock_left.png images on my
system that were green. Is it possible the icons are compiled into the
applications? I'll ask the Debian folks for debugging information.

>                                  (The default gtk theme in community
> GNOME builds is called Clearlooks, but it doesn't install any icons
> of its own.)

When I read some announcement a while back that Clearlooks was going to
be the default, I gave it a try and it's still my setting.

Thanks, great stuff.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler newt com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD