Re: [Usability] Selection vs. selected text

Hello there,
I apologize if I have sent this twice, I have some troubles with my mail server.

Shaun McCance wrote:

Honestly, this behavior is viciously annoying.  I do use
PRIMARY a lot, and I usually smack people whenever they
advocate dropping it.

I do not advocate dropping it!!!

[snip]
Standards were made to be interpreted.  We should just
re-interpret PRIMARY as "the most recent thing explicitly
selected by the user".

Well, this is what my patch in bugzilla does, and this is
what my bug report says. Let me quote it:

If it's FALSE, let newly selected text steal primary, so that "select, switch and press middle mouse button" still works; but selected text should not get unselected if someone else acquires PRIMARY. Yes, it would mean that "selected
text != primary selection content", i.e. it would do what mozilla does. But
this is way smaller problem when unselecting text nobody (at least not a normal human who is editing text in gtk application and opens a dialog with an entry inside) knows why. Not acquiring PRIMARY at all would be wrong because 'select and use middle button' is a nice feature, and there is no reason to remove it,
as long as it doesn't cause troubles in normal operations.

I'd put down money saying we don't
get a single complaint from anybody who uses PRIMARY.
Well, folks on gtk-devel-list seem to have different opinion
about this ;) This is why I am proposing an option, not
unconditional changing of GTK behaviour.

Best regards,
Yevgen