Re: [Usability] Programmer needed for minimal and basic design for GNOME HIG experiment

Am Sonntag, den 05.03.2006, 12:57 +0100 schrieb Christian Neumair:
> Am Samstag, den 04.03.2006, 19:03 -0800 schrieb William Szilveszter:
> > I am currently in the process of designing a true experiment for my
> > undergraduate studies in psychology. I am interested in providing
> > experimental research in the field of ergonomics and computer usability.
> >
> > Currently my aim is to show the effectiveness of section 4) Menus. The
> > experiment will focus on menu icons and whether they truly interfere
> > with reaction times. My aim is very simple, however I will be
> > controlling for a number of variables and if successful, anticipate some
> > empirical research that will provide a real base to the GNOME HIG.
> >
> > My experiment however does require a simple program that will run on
> > Win32 and be a self contained .EXE (program would be running on Windows
> > 2000, most likely SP4). The program will require nothing more than 4 to
> > 5 menu entries (content is moot and entries such as file, open, help,
> > etc. are more than worthy). The menu entries will need to be a little
> > more organized and can be based off a simple mock up that is yet to be
> > made. The program needs to simply provide a function where the click of
> > the drop down menu commences a clock and the clicking of the proper menu
> > entry stops it, recording it to a file in order of attempts. I lack
> > programming experience and therefore am unable to create it, and that is
> > why I am asking the community.
> >
> > I will have all permanent information soon, but wanted to get this
> > aspect out there. I hope that my time allows me to further explore
> > usability in a true experimental arena and that I may provide more
> > concrete data as to the effectiveness of not but one aspect of the GNOME
> > HIG, but the entire guideline. Please if anyone is interested contact me
> > at this email. I sent this to the group already, but it sits, awaiting
> > to be reviewed since I wasn't a member of the mailing list. Apologies
> > for the "spam."
>
> Thanks for your email!
>
> We appreciate your involvement, and your interest in usability. This
> topic is obviously tightly related to psychology and people's ways of
> making decisions.
>
> Inside the GNOME project we have an ongoing discussion whether icons
> increase usability or - when used excessively - don't help much but
> rather confuse users. Some claim that you can read text more quickly
> than figuring out what an icon means [1].
>
> I am able and willing to help you with this program, feel free to drop
> me an email with the precise requirements, or - assuming the design
> details are of general interest - publish them here on the list.
>
> My personal opinion is that it would be very, very interesting to test
> how quickly people find a particular function with icons completely
> turned off, with icons turned on only for a particular selection of
> functions, where the likelyhood that a particular function is needed
> should be incorporated, and with icons turned on for all menu entries.
> [...]

I'd just like to inform the list that I uploaded a zip file [1]
containing the (ugly) source and the binaries. You'll need an installed
GTK+ runtime from [2]. It measures the time between a click on the
menubar and the click on an item and writes it to a log file. William
described me the menu layout used in a private email.

[1] http://manny.cluecoder.org/misc/cronos.zip
[2]
http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/wfdownloads/visit.php?lid=97

--