Re: [Usability] Re: Re: Switching between tabs with Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab and "recency list"

On 8 Mar 2006, at 11:39, Roberto Piscitello wrote:

Il Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:41:42 +0000, Calum Benson ha scritto:

On 3 Mar 2006, at 14:29, Roberto Piscitello wrote:

So I think these are the more intuitive, convenient and coherent
combinations:

* Alt-Left/Right: switch to the previous/following tab

That has exactly the same problem as our current documented shortcut
(Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn) though-- namely that Alt-left/right is already used
by another common control (in this case, text fields, to move the
cursor a word at a time).  So if one of those controls on a tab has
focus, you can't change tabs any more.  In fact, this is probably
more likely to bite you than our current shortcut, as it's really
only list/combo controls that consume Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn for themselves.
To move a word at a time you use Ctrl-Left/Rigth.

Oops yes, you're right of course... although Alt-Left/right seem to work in text fields as well, which is what I was playing with at the time.

However Alt-Left/Rigth are already used too, but to move in the
navigation history (Ephy and FF use Alt-Left as a shortcut for the Back
toolbar button). See table 10.9 in the HIG.
IMHO this was a sad choice: in the HIG, they're the only deviation
from the rule "Alt for the WM, Ctrl for apps".

FWIW, they were chosen for consistency with (at the time) Mozilla and other browser-type applications... I don't know if we'd be willing to change the HIG recommendations unless we could persuade things like Firefox to change too (which, in turn, are doing some things to be consistent with Internet Explorer etc.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team