Re: [Usability] Switching between tabs with Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab and "recency list"

On 2 Mar 2006, at 17:58, Simon Francis wrote:

My biggest complaint with Ctrl-Pg Up/ Ctrl-Alt-Pg Up is it is really hard to use. Ctrl-Tab can be used with only one hand and you hardly even have to move your fingers anywhere to use it, its just right there. Ctrl-Alt-Pg Up requires you to use both hands and move them rather far from home row. This is one of the many little things that cause me to use Firefox over Epiphany.

It's a valid enough complaint, but I'm not sure what we could use instead of Ctrl-Tab for its existing purpose... Shift-Tab and Alt-Tab are already used up (and anything other than modified-Tab would be seriously undiscoverable).

The "one-handed" alternative for tab navigation, although a bit more long-winded, is usually to give focus to the notebook tabs themselves (using Tab, Shift-Tab, Ctrl-Tab, or whatever other means is most convenient for that particular window), then use left/right arrows to switch between them. If a GNOME app doesn't let you do this, it's broken and a bug should be filed.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team