[Usability] Fingerprint reader

Hi,
Yesterday, when I had a friend of mine try the new Ubuntu, I had an unpleasant suprise: he laughed at me when he saw me type the password by hand. It seems he has been using a fingerprint reader under Windows, for more than a year now.

I realized this is a feature that he will not do without, now he has gotten used to it.

It seems the advantage under GNU/Linux would be even greater, since GNU/Linux requires you to type passwords more often than Windows.

Is there some way to use a fingerprint reader to type passwords with Gnome? (My guess is it isn't, and that some work would be needed at the level of gksu and gdm.)

I have no real point however, I only wished to inform you about this. Cheers

Maurizio