Re: [Usability] Splash screens and startup notification

hi,

karderio wrote:
On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 08:26 +0100, Stefan Kost wrote:

Hi,

karderio wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any sort of dogma concerning splash screens
for GNOME applications.

Seeing as there are virtually no GNOME apps that use splash screens, I
would guess that they are not necessarily recommended. The only purpose
I can see them serving is showing feedback for application startup, for
applications that take some time to start (I'm thinking openoffice).

Is there any way that startup feedback could be presented to the user
other than with a splash screen ? For example, when you have an
applicationX starting, instead of the "Starting applicationX" in the
window list, could you not have "Starting applicationX - Step Y" and
change this as the startup progresses ?

Love, Karderio

This indee sounds good. I don't like it when splsh screen covering my screen space. What about having a progressbar inside the window list. Thus immediately after starting the app, the window-list entry would appear with a progressbar inside.

Would it not be hard (impossible) to calculate the percentage of time
until the end of startup for the progressbar ? Would you not have to add
specific code to each application ? If you wanted some sort of
indicator, would a throbber not be more appropriate ? I would think
textual output could be interesting, such as "Starting Bluetooth Client
- Connecting to remote device" or "Starting OpenOffice - Initializing
Java", the user would know what he is waiting for, and it would help
with troubleshooting...

I wasn't talking about exact percentages - merly steps. Imagine an appliation starts like this
* init application
* scanning for new plugins
Then the progressbar would just have 0%, 33%, 66%, 100%. Means it is up to the application to set the loading progress. And if an error is to be reported, the user can say 'loading appliction XYZ hangs at 66% when doing ...'.

From the technical pov, we would need a spalsh api, so that we could show a uniformous splash dialog, if there is no window list or the embeded startup status if there is.

Does this mean there is no way of doing this with the existing libnotify
or such ? I was sort of hoping this would not be too complicated :(

I really don't know what it would need :(

Love, Karderio

Stefan