Re: [Usability] MOTD Not Displayed; Column View for Nautilus; File Manipulation Tool; Browser Spell Checking

On 1/11/06, weibchen cosmopod com <weibchen cosmopod com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have a few suggestions I would like to raise that would possibly make GNOME
> more usable.
>
> 1.  Currently, the MOTD (Message of the Day) is not displayed upon logging
> into GNOME.  As Linux purports to be a networked, multi-user system, this
> needs to be amended.  A function for root to turn this on and off as required
> would be great.

Add

  zenity --info --text="`cat /etc/motd `"

to user's session. Done. ;)

> 2.  I really like the spatial navigation mode of Nautilus and strongly feel
> that this should remain the default.   However, I am aware of the controversy
> this has generated.  For  those preferring file browser mode, has a Mac OS X
> style "column" view been considered, whereby, when navigating the directory
> structure, each subdirectory "spills out" into the next column to the left,
> pushing the oldest column off screen?  I am sorry that I cannot describe this
> more clearly but I am sure that those familiar with OS X will know what I
> mean.

The pathbar in the browser mode implements a somewhat similar
functionality, though it doesn't show the folders at the same time.

> 3.  You may find this suggestion a little controversial but can I suggest
> that, whilst we retain Nautilus for file navigation, a second tool for
> advanced file manipulation also be built.  I envisage that Nautilus would
> still be used by the majority of people the majority of the time for all of
> the functions it is currently needed for.
[snip power-user-file-manager-wishlist]

Indeed some renaming utility could be useful (image galleries belong
to image mangement utilities like f-spot IMO), as would many others.
There's the nautilus scripting framework to implement these, so I
don't think a complete power tool would be necessary.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi