[Usability] Re: Reasoning behind default panel setup?

I agree that a lower bar for comprehending the workplace-switcher
functionality would likely lead to increased usage, but I don't think a
splash screen is a very good idea.

I believe adding some descriptive text when the mouse pointer hovers
over the applet would greatly increase it's ease-of-use and make the
functionality clearer to anyone unfamiliar.

I often check two or more workspaces before finding the grouping of
windows I am looking for.  Having a dialog similar to that in the
window-selector applet when one hovers the mouse pointer over each
workspace on the applet would make the workplace-switcher app much
easier to use, at least in my case.  I think this increased amount of
information being accessible from the applet itself would also help
users experimenting with it grasp what it is doing.

My two cents

- James Clark