Re: [Usability] Saving to open Nautilus windows

--- Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 11:54 +0000, Joachim Noreiko
> wrote:
> > One criticism levelled at the current File save
> dialog
> > is that it's not very useful in its collapsed
> form.
> > The folders it suggests aren't necessarily the
> ones
> > you want.
> >
> > Another idea that's been floating around is that
> there
> > should be an action that lets you save to an open
> > Nautilus window. The user is probably already
> looking
> > at the folder she wants to save to.
>
> Have to say I find it slightly hard to believe thst
> this would be useful
> for the majority of our users, which would surely
> have to be one of the
> criteria for introducing such a potentially
> menu-cluttering feature.  I
> rarely see users leave file manager windows open,
> other than the ones
> that they've opened to locate and open documents in
> the first place (and
> which, therefore, have most likely been saved to
> their final location
> already).

I quite often find I want to create and save a new
document into the same location as another document.
Another page of a website, another chapter of a
document, for example.

But if that's not true of the majority of users, is
the whole concept of drag-saving to Nautilus useful at
all?

My suggestion about extending the save menu was meant
to be a quicker and easier way to gain this
functionality, without having to invent and design new
GUI elements (or as a stopgap until we implement them).