Re: [Usability] Saving to open Nautilus windows

Am Dienstag, den 03.01.2006, 13:13 +0000 schrieb Phil Bull:
> Hmm, this might seem a little strange to the user (dragging an action,
> 'save', into nautilus rather than a document). Maybe better to drag the
> document's icon from somewhere?

http://poweroftwo.de/insaneidea.jpg
I feel everybody staring at me ;-)

> Normally, I won't use 1) and 2), because they were just locations I had
> to go through to get to my intended destination, 3). So this drop-down
> should just show the final location(s) maybe? Then after that, order and
> truncate the list by most recently opened. This runs into problems when
> you DO want to use 1) and 2) though.

This would only be possible if users would use a file system strictly
organized into nodes and leaves, but they dont.

> > My idea for this conflict would be to _not_ add the list with the
> > currently opened nautilus paths, _if_ there are more than 7 nautilus
> > windows opened. Completly disable the feature if there would be to much
> > items.
>
> I'm pretty sure this would confuse the hell out of everybody. 'Where's
> that handy drop-down gone?' or 'why is it disabled?' etc. Not everyone
> will see the '>7 nautilus windows open' logic. Why not just add the
> first six items to the drop-down then have a 'More locations...' item at
> the bottom. By selecting this you can pop up a full list.

We allready know the problem from bookmarks in the panel menu:
http://poweroftwo.de/5_bookmarks.jpg
&
http://poweroftwo.de/6_bookmarks.jpg

I agree, removing it without substitution will let users stuck, but
replacing with a link to a new menu/window is a good compromise. This
way everybody will understand the >7 logic, as i understood where my
bookmarks have gone when i firstly happend to have more than 5 of them
8).

regards, Sven