Re: [Usability] Pathbuttons-Field

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 03:54:13PM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> > I'll try not to comment on this discussion other than to say I think many
> > users will need to learn about Paths ...

> > I'm glad we experimented but I think we will eventually need to reconsider
> > and drop the whole path button idea.

> My proposal would allow you to hit backspace to go up at least.

I'm so used to Windows I just assumed that worked already.

> They're the only thing about the new file dialogs I like (oh, and type

I'm interested you don't include bookmarks as something you like about the
chooser because it of the changes I was most pleased about.  I like what
they are trying to achieve, but perhaps better memory of previously used
folders and frequently used folders would be a better way to achieve the
same goal.

> Hmm, actualy you can't realy hide them, only choose 1 or more styles
> of representation of them. So obviously:
> - the number of representations should be kept low, because
> each one requires coding, maintenance, documentation, learning ...
> (that shouldn't stop experimentation, though)

The use of a path button in Nautilus is good for consistency.

> - all offered representations should share as much on look and feel
> as possible given their specific characteristics.
> - each officialy supported representation should have clear benefits
> over others in some situations, to make them worthwhile.
> - each rep. should be refined to make the most out of it.

Good questions, certainly food for thought.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/