Re: [Usability] Merge Open/Save (was "Re: Save Icon")

On 8 Feb, 2006, at 11:31 PM, David Christian Berg wrote:

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 17:43 +0300, Alexey Rusakov wrote:

This is close to what Jef Raskin proposes in his "Humane Interface"
book. The idea is that instead of Open/Save there should be exactly one button (he names it "Disk", IIRC), that does all the work. If the
document is newer on disk and not changed in the memory, it loads the
document. If it is changed in the memory (i.e. it is newer that a copy on disk), this button performs "Save". Well, and if there is a conflict, the button reveals it, and lets the user decide. I think this idea is quite promising.

I strongly object! First of all, one button should not perform two
totally different things -- and open vs. save is definitely not similar --

Page 182: "It has been suggested that the DISK command created a modal situation. The objection, however, occurs only if the DISK command is thought of as Load and Save commands hidden behind the same key. But if you don't know about those commands, as on conventional systems, you may just think of the DISK button as the 'do-what-needs-to-be-done-with-the-disk' command. In the event, no mode errors were observed in testing."

Raskin also suggests that the only reason the Macintosh (and therefore Windows, and therefore Gnome) has "Open" and "Save" commands *at all* is because he hadn't realized that the DISK command could be replaced by the Eject command, which could perform any necessary saving before ejecting the disk. The Macintosh could have made this possible since it had software-eject-only floppy drives, but Gnome cannot. Fortunately, nowadays floppy disks are nearly obsolete. Unfortunately, we now have USB keys with the same problem.

and secondly I see quite the problems with normal interfaces. How
could I open a document in a second tab of Gedit? How do I fit "Save as" in this concept or "Open Recently"?

As I understand it, in the Humane Interface there would be no such thing as "open", "tab", "Gedit", "Save As...", or "Open Recent". The only one of those I object to is "Save As..." (or, as I'd call it, "Make a Copy..."), because we still use lots of removable media.

If a document is newer in memory, I might want to reopen it from the old version, because I did some changes, I shouldn't have done, and copy paste elements from the newer version

You could do that with Select All, Copy, Undo back as far as you wanted, Paste, and merge from there.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/