Tangent [Re: [Usability] Re: Save Icon]

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

> Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 09:35:33 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
> To: Daniel F Moisset <dmoisset grulic org ar>,
>      Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Re: Save Icon
>

> --- Daniel F Moisset <dmoisset grulic org ar> wrote:
> > Then why not an arrow going into a folder icon?
>
> What concerns me about that is that the silhouette of
> the icon might look very similar to the Open icon,
> which is also a folder.

Maybe if you drew it like this you could keep a similar siluohette to the
old Disk icon (fixed width ASCII art):

_____________
            / \
           /   \
      |\  /     \
      | \/       \
      |         /|
      |        / |
      |       /  |
      |       \  |
      |________\ |

_________________|

Or we could play it safe and stick with the old Save icon...

The overal Save issues can be attacked from other angles too.
It would be great though if more communications (internet) programs could
take a look at email and automatically save things to an Inbox and an
Outbox or similar.  (In particular I'm thinking of recent Planet Gnome
comments about Bug buddy, which currently requires you to manually save
instead of automatically logging all reports like the Netscape Talkback
tool does but this is a known issue I should check bugzilla and see if
anyone else has gotten around to requesting it already.)  I believe there
might be potentional to do something clever to make the web browser cache
more useful, and maybe futher automate the process of managing downloads
(wouldn't it be great to filter your Web downloads to certain folders as
easily as you filter your mail?).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Abiword http://www.abisource.com