Re: [Usability] spatial desktop

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 15:34 +0200, Steve Fr�naux wrote:
> Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
>
> >> Perhaps the following features would define a spatial
> >> app:
> >>
> >> 1. moving the file in the file manager doesn't disturb
> >> the app it's open in
> > why not have a central repo for document specific data, rather than each
> > application as nautilus or scribes/scratchpad using a app specific
> > database.
> >
> > ~/.spatial/<doc-hash>
>
> Actually, the desktop search engines around are planning on providing
> such things (random metadata for files). Tracker does this by design,
> and I think the beagle team is planning on providing a similar feature.
i tend to disable system wide search, as i rarely use them.

music -> rhythmbox
video -> tagging is a pain with current gui apps ( or i need to be
informed of apps which can do tagging of video files as easytag )

email/chat
documents (docs/pdf)
  hmmmm. beagle starts to sound good, and is only enabled for a
particular folder.

tracker, i have not tried out. will check it out.

> >> 2. renaming the file in the file manager causes the
> >> app to update its title bar accordingly
> > sounds perfect.
>
> Main issue is: how to do it? I'm not aware of any way of doing such
> things currently. AFAIK gnome-vfs monitoring can tell you a file has
> been deleted, but can't tell you if the deletion is a move, and were it
> moved. (It might want a bugzilla enhancement request, but I don't know
> if it's solvable)
an api for file move ?