Re: [Usability] A Proposal for a new feature

Hi,
sorry for the mistake with the tar options. I unfortunately used an old graphic without checking the correctness.

>Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:13:06 -0400
>From: eigenlambda <eigenlambda gmail com>
>Subject: Re: [Usability] A Proposal for a new feature
>
> But it seems to me to be the equivalent of training wheels.

Yes, this is exactly my idea. I don't propose to improve the function of the terminal with a new widget. Surely the terminal doesn't need it. But the interaction between beginner and terminal is quite hard for beginners.

>Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:08:29 -0400
>From: Reed Hedges <reed interreality org>
>Subject: Re: [Usability] A Proposal for a new feature
>
>One thing to consider is this: if you're typing at a terminal, ideally you would >be able to select options using the keyboard as well (even if interactively as
>you propose). Taking your hands off to use the mouse disrupts this.

Of course, when you are using the widget (it should be optional) and you know the current command, than you may continue typing and the widget gets updated automatically. An experienced shell user may not use it or he/she uses only some advantages of the widget like the open-file-dialogues for paths. Additionally the widget could offer accelerator keys.

>Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:13:21 +0100 (IST)
>From: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
>Subject: Re: [Usability] A Proposal for a new feature
>
>The orginal suggestion sounds a bit like Kaptain, a KDE utility which acts
>as a graphical front end to all kinds of command line utilities.
>http://kaptain.sourceforge.net/

You are right, the way Kaptain works is quite similar to my idea. But the goal is different. For me it is important that by using the tool the user learns to work with the terminal.

>If you are determined to get more people to learn to use the terminal an >interactive tutorial (similar to vilearn) would probably be a good idea, >anything else risks hiding away too much of what you might want to teach
>people.

Using a tutorial like vilearn is a good way for learning in an explicit manner, but I think learning by doing is a good idea.

Regards,

Luis