Re: [Usability] A Proposal for a new feature

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 19:36 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Reed Hedges wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:08:29 -0400
> > From: Reed Hedges <reed interreality org>
> > To: eigenlambda <eigenlambda gmail com>
> > Cc: usability gnome org
> > Subject: Re: [Usability] A Proposal for a new feature
> >

> > One thing to consider is this: if you're typing at a terminal,
>
> ... you aren't really using the Gnome Desktop anymore.

That's funny. There's this app in the GNOME Desktop release, called
"gnome-terminal". I would think that was part of the GNOME Desktop, no?
Trying to force people away from using the terminal, isn't going to
make it go away, or make people stop using it. And I don't think that
the proposal here, or to add spell checking, will make it more usable.

It's an application meant for a certain type of user. Just like Jokosher
is meant for certain types of users. The goal of forcing people to not
use the terminal, is not much of a goal. Why do you think Apple ships a
terminal in OS X? Let's make it work better, but let's stop acting like
it's not part of the Desktop, at the same time.

-- dobey