Re: [Usability] Idea for HIG: Ctrl+W to close active tab, if no tabs close window

On 8 Apr 2006, at 10:13, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

If we erase the concept of application completely, and
hide it from users, then they will be quite entitled
to do something like open a text file, and then say
'Hey, I want to draw a picture here.' or 'I want to
write down some guitar chords.'

That's pretty much the direction Microsoft tried to go for a while with Windows and all their OLE stuff... certainly within Office, you could summon the whole power of Excel (say) within Word by embedding a spreadsheet object, and that sort of thing. In theory, any application could support its "objects" being embedded in any other, with its editing UI magically appearing in the host UI when selected.

(I haven't used Office for years to know if that particular monster is still on the loose, or if they've managed to rein it in a bit... it was all a bit scary from a UI viewpoint though!)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team