Re: [Usability] Idea for HIG: Ctrl+W to close active tab, if no tabs close window

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

> I think we can reasonably expect users to understand
> the concept of an application, and that different apps
> open different kinds of documents.

> I know there's a dream to be 'document-centric', but I
> still don't quite understand what that means, and what
> I do understand of it does not seem realistic.

An old article I read recently

http://www.cooper.com/articles/art_myth_of_metaphor.htm

discusses the idea trying to design based on a metaphor but warns
not to be trapped by it.  He goes on to talk about idiomatic design
which resembles the more task oriented ideas we often discuss.

We do want to have documents as our starting point but we cannto fit a
round peg into a square hole so designers need to think of the
overall tasks and not be trapped by the metaphor.

--
Alan H.