Re: [Usability] Idea for HIG: Ctrl+W to close active tab, if no tabs close window

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:

I agree we need to be more consistent, but I think there are /possibly/
two distinct cases: those apps where it is useful to leave the window
open with no tabs, and those where it is not.  (Although I can't think
of any in the latter case off-hand, except maybe a terminal or
something.)

I can only speak for me, but there are only three apps that I use
regularily where Ctrl+W doesn't dismiss the application window: gEdit,
gnome-terminal and file-roller. gnome-terminal is annoying because it
leaves open the last tab and thinks it is special and doesn't allow me
to close it like I can close other tabs. gEdit and file-roller are
extra annoying because they leave open a, for me, totally useless
application window with no document in it.

While I must agree on gnome-terminal (having no terminal open would not make sense and so shift+ctrl+w should probably close the terminal) and file-roller, gedit's case is slightly different from their and epiphany's. Let me explain.

First, epiphany closes itself when you close the last tab. But, despite having tabs, epiphany, like gnome-terminal, is not really a MDI application, while gedit is. Indeed, it would more likely be called a "multiple session application": you can change the document by clicking on a link, writing a new address, etc. GT is a terminal so it's obviously not a document.

gedit *is* a MDI app (while some people complain about it), so having an empty application with no document open is perfectly common and makes perfectly sense. The typical use case is when you close a bunch of files and start working on another project, I can hardly imagine having to open my new document before closing the old ones.

It's certainly infuriating to close the last tab in a window in
preparation for starting a new document, only to realise that you then
need to go and launch the application again first.  That forces the user

I can only speak for me, but the interaction you described is not how
I work with programs. If I want to create a new document I don't close
all other document tabs in the application first expecting that an
empty application window will remain. Instead I press Ctrl+N.

But if I was working on some code and then want to do something totally unrelated, I'm likely to close all that stuff I won't use anymore... You can hardly obligate the user to create/open his new doc before closing the old one.

Be sure that if gedit behaves like that, it's because no more satisfying solution has been found.