Re: [Usability] Idea for HIG: Ctrl+W to close active tab, if no tabs close window

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 14:54 +0000, BJ�Lindqvist wrote:
> I have noticed that there are two quite important keybindings in GNOME
> that behave inconsistent.
>
> First ctrl-w.

(What was the second one, btw...?)

I agree we need to be more consistent, but I think there are /possibly/
two distinct cases: those apps where it is useful to leave the window
open with no tabs, and those where it is not.  (Although I can't think
of any in the latter case off-hand, except maybe a terminal or
something.)

It's certainly infuriating to close the last tab in a window in
preparation for starting a new document, only to realise that you then
need to go and launch the application again first.  That forces the user
into doing what should be independent tasks (closing some old files,
creating a new one) in a particular order, which isn't usually a Good
Thing.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group