Re: [Usability] Keyboard prefs, layouts tab

On Mar 29, 2006, at 7:47 PM, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

--- Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> wrote:
Absolutely. What is the list for? Windows has a list labelled
"Installed keyboard languages and layouts". I can kind of understand
that, though it seems to be to do with disk space rather than utility. Mac OS X has a list "Select the keyboard layouts,
input methods, and palettes that appear in the input menu". I can
understand that, though it's a bit wordy. But what is "Selected layouts" good for?
As far as I can tell, the topmost one is the default. The order in the list affects how they cycle

Is it really necessary to determine in which order they cycle? I'm trying to imagine a use case where doing that would save you noticable time.

I ask because if it isn't necessary, this interface can become both simpler and more efficient: instead of having a separate "Choose A[sic] Layout" dialog, the list of available layouts can be *this* list in the Keyboard Preferences window itself, with a checkbox for each layout determining whether it appears in the menu.

with you press keys defined elswhere.

Where's "elsewhere"? :-) I can't find it anywhere.

When you add more than one layout, you have no indication of which is active, unless you know how to add the indicator to the panel yourself. This is a major usability problem, and the maintainer doesn't want to fix it (Pseudobug: Waiting For Godot).

This bug is also what makes the list nearly impossible to label. If you could guarantee that having more than one label selected resulted in the keyboard layout menu appearing on the panel, then the list could be labelled "Show these layouts in the keyboard menu:". If you could guarantee that the keyboard combo for cycling was the same, the list could be labelled "Ctrl+Space cycles between these keyboard layouts:", though the former would be better following the HIG's advice on modes.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/