Re: Usability of terminals [Re: [Usability] Running gnome-terminal as a desktop background]

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 10:16 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> Alan Horkan wrote:
> > How come Gnome terminal doesn't have that feature warning you if you
> > mispell a command?  Played aroudn with a Mac and as terminals go I thought
> > it was pretty impressive way to improve usability.
>
> That's not a terminal feature, it's a shell feature. tcsh behaves that
> way by default. I don't know if bash can be made to do it. Presumably
> zsh can, because zsh can do anything.

I have seen quicksilver and it is actually just another front end to
spotlight. It is a helpful tool. It would be more likely that best would
include similar functionality than some sort of stand alone application.
With that said, someone could easily pick specific aspects of
quicksilver to clone. For example, beagle is mainly for finding personal
info and not things like applications. There is no reason beagle can't
find this sort of thing, so a replacement of the run dialog could be
created with a beagle backend that allows smart things such as
remembering that most of time when you type a "f" you want firefox. This
is the sort of thing quicksilver does.

Eric