Re: [Usability] Running gnome-terminal as a desktop background

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 09:53 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > I was thinking of doing this by a maximized gnome-terminal that will
> > automatically launch itself on startup. However, I have two issues:
>
> The following issues should be resolvable by some coding on your behalf.
> Welcome to the developer community! :)
> You'd have to introduce a new --use-as-background switch which does do
> the following three things you want:

Ewww, I really hope that patch doesn't get accepted!

> > 1) I can't get rid of the metacity border (and especially the top box)
> > of the window.
> >
> > 2) gnome-terminal gets listed among the running applications on the
> > bottom Gnome pannel. I'd love to make it disappear from there.
> >
> > 3) I would love it to get focus on startup.

You want Devil's Pie[1], which will let you remove the boarder, maximuse
the window, remove it from the task list and (I think) mark it as the
desktop so it can never be on top of an application.

Ross
[1] http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./