Re: [Usability] Running gnome-terminal as a desktop background

Am Freitag, den 16.09.2005, 02:12 +0200 schrieb Hynek Hanke:

> I was thinking of doing this by a maximized gnome-terminal that will
> automatically launch itself on startup. However, I have two issues:

The following issues should be resolvable by some coding on your behalf.
Welcome to the developer community! :)
You'd have to introduce a new --use-as-background switch which does do
the following three things you want:

> 1) I can't get rid of the metacity border (and especially the top box)
> of the window.
>
> 2) gnome-terminal gets listed among the running applications on the
> bottom Gnome pannel. I'd love to make it disappear from there.
>
> 3) I would love it to get focus on startup.

by doing what nautilus does in
src/nautilus-desktop-window.c:set_wmspec_desktop_hint if the terminal is
invoked with --use-as-background.

I can assist you with the details if you want.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>