Re: [Usability] New "Add to panel" dialog

> Obligatory Warning: No new URIs.
>
> People far smarter than me have explained why it is a bad idea and it is
> something Gnome is not likely to do casually.
>
> file:// and http:// should be good enough for 99% of cases where people
> suggest new URIs.  Using new URIs means you need to write new tools and
> you immediately obselete all the existing tools.
>
> Please think of the children
> New URIs make baby Jesus cry

Hmm, that's a thought.

Why does gnome have so many URI's?

Hmm, we have;

start-here://
server-settings://
system-settings://
trash://
applications://
prefrences://

Aren't some of these kind of redundant? Couldn't a few of them simply be
consolidated into say; gnome:// (eg: gnome://server-settings/
gnome://system-settings/)? After all, a good number of them do the exact
same thing just with different locations (sans trash).

It'd reduce the number of handlers needed for one, and possibly make
other things a little cleaner and more expandable. Or am I simply being
minimalistic and silly?

-Jason H.

(Sorry Alan, stupid reply button...)