Re: [Usability] New "Add to panel" dialog

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Markus Jonsson wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:45:14 +0200
> From: Markus Jonsson <marjo691 student liu se>
> To: Vidar Braut Haarr <vhaarr+usability gmail com>
> Cc: usability gnome org, Manu Cornet <Manu Cornet gmail com>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] New "Add to panel" dialog
>
> lör 2005-10-22 klockan 09:54 +0200 skrev Vidar Braut Haarr:
> > On 10/20/05, Manu Cornet <Manu Cornet gmail com> wrote:
> > > I have been working on a new version of the "add to panel" dialog, for
> > > the Ubuntu distro. This dialog is already available by default in the
> > > new Ubuntu "Breezy Badger" version.
> >
> > What immediately strikes me about this dialog is how much it resembles
> > Nautilus viewing a folder in icon mode.
> >
> > "Don't reimplement the wheel."
> >
> > Lets say this whole thing was made into a special location
> > ("applets:///" or whatever), what would we miss from your proposed
>
> "emblems:///" is crossing my mind. It would be nice too. :)
> (actually had to check if this wasn't implemented allready)

Obligatory Warning: No new URIs.

People far smarter than me have explained why it is a bad idea and it is
something Gnome is not likely to do casually.

file:// and http:// should be good enough for 99% of cases where people
suggest new URIs.  Using new URIs means you need to write new tools and
you immediately obselete all the existing tools.

Please think of the children
New URIs make baby Jesus cry

- Alan