Re: [Usability] ThreePointZero worries

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Estradin Solaris wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:21:16 +0200
> From: Estradin Solaris <estradin gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] ThreePointZero worries
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been reading the 3.0 roadmap for Gnome, and I found it quite
> worrying. Essentially it talks about a radical departure from the
> desktop metaphor. I don't feel that is quite right. [1]

I do not believe that list reflects reality.  At best it reflects some
ideas people wanted to brainstorm. I wont say any more.

Personally I'm very happy to see the work being done on Project Ridley
which will reorganise a lot of functionality previously only available in
special Gnome libraries and bring it into Gtk.  The plan for Project
Ridely is for the results to eventually become Gtk 3.0.

Typically developers do not seem to want to increase the version number of
Gnome and insist on it havinga very strict technical meaning but I hope
Gtk 3 will result in a clearer more consolidated platform.  Hopefully
developers wont get too hung up on the numbers.  and Gnome will take it as
an opportunity to declare also Gnome 3.0 and present I.S.V. with a clearer
baseline platform to work with.

Of course that is just my opinion and it is difficult to say how things
will turn out but I'm convinced change will continue to be incremental and
evolutionary, not radical or revoluionary.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/