Re: [Usability] ThreePointZero worries

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:21:16PM +0200, Estradin Solaris wrote:
> I have been reading the 3.0 roadmap for Gnome, and I found it quite
> worrying. Essentially it talks about a radical departure from the
> desktop metaphor. I don't feel that is quite right. [1]

That is not an official list. There might be official stuff in there,
but it also contains a lot of crap. I personally ignore it (haven't
looked for a long time).

Large parts of that page seemed (not sure if still the case) to be based
on an idea that we should break (binary) compatibility. That is a
terrible idea (think of 2.0). Slow an easy, have a goal, but reach it
with small steps. Don't do stuff different just because 3.0 sounds cool.

Basically once a 2.* is 'perfect', call that 3.0. Rewrites, please not.

--
Regards,
Olav