Re: [Usability] New "Add to panel" dialog

One of Calum's blog comments stuck with me, and I totally agree with it.
He mentioned that figuring out what applets are already present on a
toolbar can be tough, particularly for a new user.  Even after using
Gnome of over a year now I still have to guess what the names of my
applets are when I'm adding.  I know what those things do, but I can't
remember what they were called.

And that's where the categorization fails, I think.  It's the same thing
in XP.  Microsoft introduced categorization to the Control Panel, and it
is one of the first things I turn off.  Perhaps that is due to my use
case (I know the names of the caplets, not what category someone at
Microsoft thought they should reside in).

But Callum's point was making it easier to figure out what a user
already has for themselves.  I don't pretend to know what is possible in
the graphical toolkit right now, but how about simply highlighting the
currently active applets both in the toolbar and in the Add to Panel
dialogue?  This way a user can very easily see what an applet looks
like, and will be able to easily associate functionality with names.

Please excuse the roughness here, but I drew a little diagram of what
I'm talking about.

Currently (Debian SID, so Gnome 2.10)
http://thebside.ca/public_content/images/applets.current.png

Proposed
http://thebside.ca/public_content/images/applets.proposed.png

The applet that is highlighted in the Add to Panel dialogue is
highlighted in a colour, and it actually pointed out to the user where
they are already using it.  Any applets in the list that are also used,
but are not selected in the list, should also have a colour to separate
them from the crowd.

Just a thought - I have no idea if this is even possible.  But I believe
that categorization introduces another layer of abstraction that
experienced users will have to struggle through, and new users will have
to browse through. I prefer the flat list shown above, we might just
want to make it more useful to the user rather than ditch it entirely.

Kirk