Re: [Usability] New "Add to panel" dialog

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Manu Cornet wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:35:51 +0200
> From: Manu Cornet <Manu Cornet GMail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] New "Add to panel" dialog
>

> Hi !
>
> I have been working on a new version of the "add to panel" dialog, for
> the Ubuntu distro. This dialog is already available by default in the
> new Ubuntu "Breezy Badger" version.

Calum Benson commented on this before and I will repeat my comments at
from the time.  Both the current dialog and new dialog you are proposing
are trying to deal with the problem of large collection of applets and I
feel neither succeed with this very well.  Unless the number of applets
can be kept much much smaller I'm a whole lot happier with the using menus
and submenus as older versions of Gnome used to do.

I can certainly agree there is a problem here but I dont think any of the
proposed solutions have been substantially better and none of them
do very well if you allow a large set of applets.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/