Re: [Usability] New "Add to panel" dialog

--- Manu Cornet <Manu Cornet GMail com> wrote:
> * The applet list is now two-dimensionnal (icons and
> text are put on a
> 2D canvas).
>
> * Applets are organized into categories.

very nice.
looks a little like OS X's system preferences.
I think I heard that there's a gnome preferences
application either in existence or in progress. Would
it be a good idea to share code or interface design?

> * On the top-right corner, a search bar lets one
> search applets easily,
> and is of an "update as you type" kind. If several
> words are typed in,
> the dialog assumes they are separated by an "AND"
> connector.
> * The "Search" label still needs an accelerator.

CTRL-F?
I know firefox uses CTRL-K for a search box that looks
similar, but it doesn't perform the same function.

> * Selected applet's description appears below the
> canvas.

That text is really out of the way. It's not very
noticeable. It looks like the place for text that
might advise me about what happens when I press one of
the buttons at the bottom. There's nothing that
connects it visually with what is selected.
Centering the text might help.
Also, should your dialog box have a horizontal line
above the buttons? (Check the HIG.) That plus a little
padding would help the user associate that text with
the selection area rather than the buttons.

What about a large tooltip? An extra line of text that
appears beneath the selected item and pushes
everything else below further down?

Thinking more about this extra descriptive text...
1. the items have visually descriptive icons, or they
should do.
2. the main names are descriptive too. Eg 'battery
charge monitor'. Do I really need the extra
description line? In other cases, the descriptive text
is useless. Eg, 'window list' and 'window selector'
have the same description, which doesn't really tell
me anything at all.
3. the operation of adding to the panel is easy to
undo. if I'm not sure what an item is, I can try it
and then remove it.
4. the help file should give me an overview of what's
available (it doesn't at the moment)

Given the above, I think a tooltip would be enough.
The extra text is not crucial.

> Okay now, I know that the "2D" look is a matter of
> taste, some will like
> it, some won't.
> What do you think of this new dialog ? Do you see
> any other possible
> enhancements ?

I like it :)

Joachim